Tuesday, September 24, 2024

WRP: "Why Barbara Ehrentreu Writes"

Three days a week, I meet with other writers in Writing Room Prime on Zoom where we spend an hour focused on writing, plotting, or anything that advances our careers as writers. I've been asking the participants why they write. Here's one of the answers.

"The main reason I write is because I want people to know what I think. At the age of eight, I had a poem published in the school district newspaper. I loved the feeling of seeing my words on paper. But I didn’t start writing seriously until I was married with children and going to graduate school. I was able to meet some authors, and they heard a piece I had written about picking blueberries as a child. They all told me how good it was. I started my first novel the next year. I was able to get into a workshop by Paula Danziger, a well-known children’s writer, and I wrote three pages of my novel: If I Could Be Like Jennifer Taylor. Paula taught me how to write for children. I’ve been a writer ever since then."
~ Barbara Ehrentreu, author of If I Could Be Like Jennifer Taylor  









No comments:

Post a Comment