Thursday, April 17, 2014

O is for open

I think it's hard to be open about our feelings. At least I find it to be so. I don't know why. Just an innate sense of caution, I think. Too many experiences of sharing and having it used against me. I often tell people what I think they want me to feel, which I sometimes do feel, but not as strongly as they want me to -- or really, as strongly as I think they want me to.

We spend most of our lives hoping to find that special someone with whom we can be completely honest and yet he/she will still love us anyway. Most of us never find him/her. That's just the way life is. It's not so much that Mr./Miss Right isn't out there, but we get tired and settle for Mr. He'll-Do or Miss I-Could-Do-Worse.

You might think that what I wrote sounds depressing, but I have seen many wonderful, long-lived marriages built between He'll-Do and I-Could-Do-Worse. In fact, some of these marriages grow, and they end up being Mr. and Mrs. Exactly Right. So there is plenty of hope in the world yet for romance. Don't give up. And every now and then, try a bit of openness. You might be pleasantly surprised by what happens next.

No comments:

Post a Comment