Friday, April 19, 2013

"Waking on Another Planet"

Waking on Another Planet

I woke on another planet this morning
and found myself believing strange new things:
        Broken hearts can heal stronger than before,
        We don’t have to purchase wisdom with pain,
        An open hand holds more than a closed fist,
        We all bleed red whatever our color,
        Only fools think violence will cause peace,
        And we can learn to love ourselves at last.
Perhaps you think I do not understand
the gravity of our situation.
        I know the list of disasters stretches
        Longer than Orion’s arm. Nonetheless,
I woke on another planet this morning
and planted a bright flag and called it hope.

(Copyright 2013 by Stephen B. Bagley. From the forthcoming Undying: Poems of Fantasy & Science Fiction. All rights reserved. No copying without express permission. Thank you for reading.)

No comments:

Post a Comment